Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sydney Half Marathon

Today, after a reeeeeally early wake-up call (4am), I ran the Sydney Half Marathon. We started at Milson's Point, right on the other side of the Harbour. The run took us across the Harbour Bridge, through the city, across another bridge right next to the ANZAC Bridge, then doubled back to the city to take us through Circular Quay to the finish at the Sydney Opera House (see map). This was my first half marathon, so I didn't really know how it was going to go, but with some good training tips (thanks Michael) I managed to finish in 1:44:47 by my watch, which is a lot faster than I expected to. My Ciy2Surf pace would have me finishing in just over 2 hours, and I was expecting to be slower towards the end of the longer distance. But the weather was perfect and I felt great.

Sunrise on the Harbour Bridge (you can se our final destination, the Opera House, just under the Bridge to the left)

Finish at the Opera House


The last 600m or so of the course are through Circular Quay, right next to the Harbour


After the finish there were food and drinks in the Royal Botanic Garden, which also happens to be a great place to lay out in the sun and relax.




I'd love to stay in the Garden all day, but unfortunately I have a Mechanics of Solids Midterm tomorrow, so it's off to study now...

No comments:

Post a Comment